Camp Fire’s Middle School program prepares more than 270 youth each year to achieve success in high school and beyond. Our program is built around the concept of the “growth mindset,” or the belief that intelligence and abilities are not fixed and can improve through effort and practice over time. Our highly trained on-site program staff work with students from September through May and help build skills progressively over the course of the school year.
- daily academic support with in-class help
- one-on-one mentorship
- after school enrichment activities, a.k.a. service-learning projects
The program builds children’s confidence in their own skills and resilience in the face of challenges, while also strengthening connections to classmates and schools. The annual service-learning projects, field trips and other team building activities bolster each student’s connections to the wider community.
Developed in 2011 through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, the program is currently active in five schools, four in Portland Public Schools and one in Reynolds School District.
- The Portland Children’s Levy provides funding for three of our five middle school sites.
- “I Have a Dream” Oregon deepens our work at Reynolds Middle School.
- Cesar Chavez Middle School
- George Middle School
- Harrison Park Middle School
- Lane Middle School
- Reynolds Middle School
For more information about the Middle School Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.