Job Title: Seasonal Maintenance Assistant
Reports to: Property Manager
Classification: Full time Seasonal
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for
middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the school year, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5-18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects. For more information, please visit: https://campfirecolumbia.org/
This position is responsible for supporting the Property Manager in all aspects of facility upkeep and maintenance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists the Property Manager with regular camp maintenance and basic facility upkeep and repair.
- Participates in and assists in all facets of camp facility maintenance, including repair, construction, custodial, and grounds keeping.
- Interacts with and assists campers and guests.
- Performs and/or assists in the performance of routine maintenance to facilities, grounds, and equipment within the scope of one’s training and experience and in accordance with Camp Fire standards and maintenance plans.
- Executes mechanical, electrical, plumbing and a variety of construction and maintenance projects within budget and established timeframes.
- Maintains and operates a variety of vehicles.
- Performs custodial and cleaning duties, as assigned.
- Directs groups while drawing boundaries in a tactful and friendly manner.
- Promotes the camp programs through community building with stakeholders.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with co-workers, volunteers, parents, and contractors; including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Challenge course instruction experience is preferred.
- Competence in facets of facility maintenance, including but not limited to all aspects of carpentry and building, plumbing, electrical, septic, lawn and garden.
- Oregon Food Handler’s card and First Aid & CPR certification a plus but not required.
- Self-starter, proactive
- Interest in their own professional growth
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to the needs of the organization
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Receptive to receiving feedback
- Ability to work in teams and independently
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and maintain satisfactory energy levels for the duration of programming
- Bi-lingual and/or multi-lingual encouraged to apply
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation: $12.50 hourly
- Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resources with subject line, “Maintenance Assistant” to: email@example.com
- Positions will remain open until filled
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-competent, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.