Job Title: Line Cook
Reports to: Head Cook
Classification: Full time, seasonal
Dates: June 13 – August 21
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the school year, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5-18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects.
Camp Namanu (Nuh-MAH-Noo) is a welcoming, empowering place for kids entering grades 1-12 to spend their summer. Ready to join us and make magic happen this summer? We strive to give our campers a chance to learn confidence, empathy, and independence while they create life-long memories. As a member of our summer kitchen staff you will have the opportunity to positively impact our campers, both through the nutritious meals you prepare and the daily interactions you have with campers and staff.
Our Kitchen Staff are committed to keeping campers safe, happy, and healthy. The Line Cooks are responsible for working with fellow kitchen staff and the Food Service Manager to prepare meals and to ensure that the camper’s dietary needs and restrictions are safely met in coordination with the Health Manager by helping in food preparation for each meal including main course, sides, baking, making salads, preparing the serving area for each meal, and filling condiment dispensers. Kitchen Staff are responsible for complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards while maintaining a clean and safe kitchen and dining area.
Essential Job Functions and Qualifications:
- Cleans counters, washes dishes, pots, and pans, and sweeps and mops kitchen floors.
- Unloads and stacks deliveries.
- Follows schedules set by Food Service Manager.
- Works with kitchen staff to prepare meals that will fuel both counselors and campers as they learn about themselves and the world around them.
- Works to create meals that enable campers to learn and explore, while building community around the table.
- Participates in the songs and traditions of the Camp Namanu dining hall.
- Maintains a clean and safe kitchen and dining area.
- Communications effectively with a variety of ages.
- Applies knowledge of vegetarian, gluten-free, and other special dietary needs to meal preparation.
- Ensures policies and practices are followed that lead to safe and successful program experiences for all participants and staff.
- Acts as a role model for enjoyment, integrity and dedication in the work of Camp Fire… we are in it for the kids!
- Supports the mission, purpose and leadership of Camp Fire and projects a positive image of Camp Fire.
- Attends Camp Fire meetings and events, as required.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with co-workers, volunteers, parents, and contractors; including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of food safety principles
- Commitment to building a positive community
- Ability to obtain Food Handlers Card prior to the first day on the job
- Ability to commute to and from our Sandy, Oregon location each work day
- Continuous standing, moving, bending, walking, lifting up to 50 pounds, pulling, twisting, moving.
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation: $13 per hour.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resources with the subject line, “Line Cook” to: HUMANRESOURCES@CAMPFIRECOLUMBIA.ORG
Camp Namanu was established in 1924 and holds a special place in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of campers from all over the world. The camp expands 552 acres and sits on the banks of the Sandy River, just one hour east of Portland beneath Mount Hood.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-competent, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.