Job Title: Kitchen Assistant
Classification: Full time, seasonal
Dates: June 19 – August 21
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the school year, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5-18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects.
Camp Namanu (Nuh-MAH-Noo) is a welcoming, empowering place for kids entering grades 1-12 to spend their summer. Ready to join us and make magic happen this summer? We strive to give our campers a chance to learn confidence, empathy, and independence while they create life-long memories. As a member of our summer kitchen staff you will have the opportunity to positively impact our campers, both through the nutritious meals you prepare and the daily interactions you have with campers and staff.
Our Kitchen Staff are committed to keeping campers safe, happy, and healthy. The Kitchen Assistant is responsible for preparing food to be served, complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards, and following established food production programs and procedures. On the job training is provided. Kitchen staff prepares meals that will fuel both counselors and campers as they learn about themselves and the world around them.
Our staff makes a difference so we want to show them how much we appreciate them by offering:
- Meals in the Dining Hall surrounded by the exuberance of the camp community
- Personal and Professional Development opportunities
- Time off each day to recharge amongst our forests and rippling creeks
- A tight-knit community of 80+ staff from around the world
Essential Job Functions and Qualifications:
- Assist in daily meal preparations including chopping, baking, and cooking and following standard recipes and special diet orders
- Daily cleaning (mopping and sweeping) of large floor areas
- Ensure that the kitchen is kept clean and meets all sanitation codes
- Observe proper food preparation and handling techniques
- Wash all pots, pans, and prep dishes the kitchen generates
- Assist in food plating
- Keep work area neat and clean at all times; clean and maintain equipment used in food preparation
- Assist in preparing food requests for outdoor cooking
- Prep and maintain salad bar
- Record routine temperature charts and maintain temperature logs
- Assist in inventory control
- Perform other kitchen duties as required
- Attend Camp Fire meetings and events
- Support the mission, purpose and leadership of Camp Fire; project a positive image of Camp Fire
- Working knowledge of food safety principles
- Commitment to building a positive community
- Maintain a clean, safe kitchen and dining area
- Effective communication with a variety of ages
- Ability to obtain Food Handlers Card prior to the first day on the job
- Ability to commute to and from our Sandy, Oregon location each work day
- Continuous standing, moving, bending, walking, lifting up to 50 pounds, pulling, twisting, moving.
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation: $15 per hour.
Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resources with the subject line, “Kitchen Assistant” to: HUMANRESOURCES@CAMPFIRECOLUMBIA.ORG
Camp Namanu was established in 1924 and holds a special place in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of campers from all over the world. The camp expands 552 acres and sits on the banks of the Sandy River, just one hour east of Portland beneath Mount Hood.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-competent, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.