Job Title: Day Camp Program Assistant
Reports to: Site Director
Classification: Full time/Part Time Seasonal
Dates: June-August 2017
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the school year, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5-18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects.
Program Assistant supports units in a variety of activities, including set-up and break down up/clean of camper activities and snacks. Keeps supplies organized, assists with camper supervision during staff breaks and activities. Minimum Age 16. Environmental education/Outdoor Recreation and/or Lifeguard certification experience a plus. Responsible for supporting the day to day activities for K-5 grades, including, indoor/outdoor games, crafts, literacy activities, songs, snacks, and field trips. Typical schedule is Monday-Friday; schedule varies by capacity and staffing needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists units in a variety of activities, including set-up and break down up/clean of camper activities and snacks.
- Attend pre-season training and lead sections or groups of pre-camp training.
- Assists in the delivery of pre-planned activities and field trips with support of counselors and Unit Director.
- Engage with campers in creative and energetic camp programming based on weekly themes.
- Provides excellent communication to campers, and staff.
- Keeps records as needed and required.
- Engages with campers to create a positive experience/environment to promote confidence, self-awareness, and tools for life-long learning.
- Assists in managing delivery of snacks and to assure that kids with special dietary needs are addressed.
Counselors provide delivery of high quality programming, enforce curriculum and procedures, policies, and safety standards. Counselors interact with parents, campers, special guests and field trip representatives to ensure high levels of customer service, communication, program quality, and safety.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum age is 16 years old.
- This position requires a valid Oregon Food Handler’s card and First Aid & CPR certification.
- Lifeguard, environmental ed./outdoor rec. experience/certifications a plus.
- Open to receiving feedback and willing to receive guidance.
- Ability to work in teams and independently.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and maintain satisfactory energy levels for duration of shift.
- Bi-lingual and/or multi-lingual encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation: $11 per hour, 30-40 hours per week.
- Earned PTO for sick leave.
- Positions will remain open until filled.
- Complete the application process by following this link.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-competent, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.