Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Vice President of Development and Communications (VP)
Classification: Full-Time (40 hours per week)
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the schoolyear, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5- 18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects.
This position is responsible for implementing the Council’s strategic communications plan through the generation of marketing collateral pieces, public relations, advertising, web site, and other internal and external publications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Leads the documentation and communication of high impact stories for internal and external constituents through multiple communication products including infographics, case studies, website, email, annual report, newsletters, blogs, and more.
2. Develops and monitors long-term strategy and day-to-day implementation through metrics and analytics to measure effectiveness.
3. Independently writes and edits original content for tailored segmented audiences both external and internal, including feature stories, e-newsletter content, media pitches, reports, social media posts, print collateral, and more.
- Writes and produces internal and external communication pieces including news releases, newsletters, brochures, flyers, advertisements, sponsorship proposals, etc.
- Develops and executes communication, advertising, and brand materials for multiple programs, including internal and external audiences.
- Manages direct contact with outside public relations agencies.
- Listens and translates information into stories and communicates via specific vehicles.
- Creates and implements targeted digital communication strategies that support goals.
- Leads work on website development strategy, architecture, and usability.
- Manages development of multi-media packages, including podcasts and videos, to promote Camp Fire Columbia.
- Acts as liaison to internal groups to ensure adherence to Camp Fire USA branding guidelines and standards.
- Assists in developing, implementing, and maintaining communications strategy and budget.
- Ensures policies and practices are followed that lead to safe and successful program experiences for all participants and staff.
- Acts as a role model for enjoyment, integrity and dedication in the work of Camp Fire… we are in it for the kids!
- Supports the mission, purpose and leadership of Camp Fire and projects a positive image of Camp Fire.
- Attends Camp Fire meetings and events, as required.
- Maintains punctual, regular and predictable attendance.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with coworkers, volunteers, parents, and contractors; including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Open to receiving feedback and making on-going program adjustments.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, manages time and stress levels, and proactively solve problems.
- Culturally responsive with a passion for developing youth to achieve their full potential.
- Ability to lead and motivate others.
- Ability to collaborate as part of a team.
- High level of professionalism, creativity, energy, organization, self-motivation, empathy, and patience.
- Be a positive role model for youth and adults at all times.
- Maintain integrity by following through on responsibility and by accepting and abiding by decisions regarding program and policy in a positive manner.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a positive attitude.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in Marketing, Communications, or a related field; or three to five years related experience and/or training in marketing or a similar discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience editing content for multiple voices, audiences, and goals.
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation: $19-23 /hour depending on experience.
- Health, medical and dental benefits, 401K, life insurance, holiday and paid sick time benefits available for full-time staff (30+ hours per week).
- 401K, and paid sick time benefits available to part-time staff who qualify.
- Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resources with subject line, “Communications Manager” to: HUMANRESOURCES@CAMPFIRECOLUMBIA.ORG.
- Interviews will begin as candidates are identified.
- Position will remain open until filled.
Our Commitment: Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-responsive, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.