Job Title: Camp Nurse
Classification: Temporary, Seasonal
Dates: Mid-June – Late-August 2017
At Camp Fire Columbia, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to find and pursue their spark– a passion that inspires and drives them to set and achieve goals for their future. Founded in 1910, our comprehensive program starts with early intervention at the elementary level, bridges the learning gap for
middle school, and helps students thrive and plan for bright futures during high school. During the schoolyear, Camp Fire works in partnership with dozens of schools in the Metro Area. During the summer months, we offer summer camps in the Portland metro area and at our beautiful 552-acre camp, Camp Namanu, bordered by the vibrant Sandy River and presided over by century old trees. Our programs directly serve over 4,000 kids ages 5-18 each year across an eight-county area, including the greater Portland metro region. Camp Fire Columbia helps serve an additional 11,000 children and families annually through partnerships and special projects.
Our Camp Nurse provides comprehensive health care to campers and staff at summer camp, observing regulations of nursing practice, and compliance with policies established by Camp Fire Columbia. The Camp Nurse will remain on-site and on-call for 24-hour coverage to provide nursing, consultation and/or intervention to ill or injured campers and staff. The Camp Nurse, is very much a part of the overall staff and is encouraged to become part of our community, including having a presence during day & evening programming, eating meals in the dining hall and building relationships with the campers and staff. This is a seasonal, temporary position, applicants are expected to be able to commit to work at least 1 of our 7 week-long sessions, but longer commitments are desired.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assess individual health needs and provide appropriate interventions for students and staff at camp.
- Conduct a health assessment of all campers and staff for communicable disease.
- Establish procedure to secure, monitor, and administer all medication brought to camp by campers and staff per administrative rules and policies.
- Request equipment from Camp Fire and maintain and adequately equipped dispensary.
- Chaperone, as necessary, trips to local hospital or urgent care facility for more serious injuries and ailments.
- Adhere to all Camp Fire staff policies.
- Maintain records and reports as required.
- Make recommendation to Camp Director when a camper or staff member should be removed from the site due to suspected communicable disease.
Other Job Duties:
- Make parent phone calls regarding camper medical issues.
- Provide training to camp staff on Health Center procedures, illness and injury prevention, and other topics as necessary.
- Delegate, train, and supervise appropriate staff and volunteers in selected nursing tasks as appropriate for individual health needs of campers or staff as assigned by the Director of Namanu or Camp Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the leadership team.
The Camp Nurse is responsible for representing the camp and maintaining its relationship with parents, medical personnel, consultants and vendors. The Camp Nurse works closely with the camp Health Manager and volunteers.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Valid Oregon license to practice as a Registered Nurse in State of Oregon (Pediatric, ER or camp experience helpful).
- Ability to reside at camp Sunday afternoons-Saturday mornings (we are a residential camp).
- Demonstrate organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication.
- Ability to walk/hike moderate distances and climb ladders to access bunk beds.
- All staff must have or obtain these required safety set trainings:
- CPR/First Aid.
- Oregon Food Handlers’ card.
Salary and Benefits:
The Camp Nurse is provided a private room in our handsome House of Health, as well as daily meals in our beautiful Raker Lodge. As a member of the Camp Fire staff the Camp Nurse qualifies for a discount on camp registration fees. If you have children of appropriate camp age (6-16), they would be welcome to join camp as campers.
The Camp Nurse salary is calculated at a weekly rate.
- Send cover letter, resume and three references to Human Resources with subject line, “CAMP NURSE” to: email@example.com.
- Positions will remain open until filled.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-competent, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.