Friends of Namanu and Camp Fire Columbia Mini Volunteer Service Weekend
Friday, September 16th – Saturday, September 17th (tentative schedule below)
10300 SE Camp Namanu Rd, Sandy, OR
Let’s hope for dry weather, but (as always) prepare for rain!
Stay in a cabin with your friends or family and help keep Namanu looking beautiful… all for free! We are looking forward to seeing you all working hard with us!
Camp Fire is excited to once again be partnering with MESD Outdoor School this fall! While our Summer Staff has done a wonderful job wrapping up, packing up, and cleaning up after a great 2016 summer we want to have the site ready for a season of ODS.
To prepare for fall at Camp Namanu we are hosting a Mini Service Weekend September 16 & 17, 2016. Volunteers are invited to spend the night Friday night, and help us with concentrated work and cleaning projects Saturday. We will wrap it all up with a BBQ in the meadow Saturday evening before we all head home. We ask that all volunteers are off-site by 8PM Saturday. (Sunset is at 7:17PM, so drive cautiously on the road out!)
Saturday breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
What you should know about the upcoming Volunteer Service Weekend:
- During our September Service Weekend we will have traditional camp meals fixed by our famous cooks – B’Lou, Josie, and Jake – with an assortment of other summer staff and volunteers helping with prep and clean up! If you have a dietary restriction please let us know prior to the event and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Namanu Property Manager, Dale Wills, will be organizing the projects for Saturday. There will be no formal work projects planned for Sunday.
- Please RSVP! We would appreciate as much advanced notice as possible so that we can have a count on how many will be in attendance; this is especially important so that we buy enough food. That said if somehow you forget, “drop ins” are welcome! Let us know if you are bringing kids so we can plan activities for them as well! RSVP HERE
- Everyone must sign a Participant Agreement that includes a liability waiver and assumption of risk; all those under the age of 18 must be with a parent or guardian.
- Please check in at Raker Lodge, our dining hall, upon arrival and prior to moving into any accommodation. After you have dropped off your belongings in your sleeping space, we ask that you park your car in the upper parking lot at the top of the grand staircase. We do not take cabin reservations – it’s first come first serve unless we have a large group coming and they need to be housed together (i.e. Boy Scout Troop).
- Please feel free to come for any part or all of the weekend; even if you can only come out for part of Saturday, your energy and efforts are greatly appreciated. This is our third Volunteer weekend of 2016, so be sure to come out and join the fun and get your FREE 2016 Volunteer T-shirt!!
- Please leave all pets at home.
- Project details coming soon!
- If you have specific questions or needs please contact Ethan Gumanow, Camp Namanu Rental Manager at EGumanow@campfirecolumbia.org.
- Please leave your sleeping area swept, bed wiped down with disinfectant, trash emptied, and cabin cleaner than you found it.
What to bring:
- Sleeping bag or sleeping system, pillow.
- Plenty of warm clothes, layers are helpful with cooler evenings. Wool or polypropylene is warmer if it gets wet than cotton. Work clothes that can get dirty!
- Work Gloves – very important to bring a pair of gloves that fit your hand comfortably.
- Raingear: rain jacket and rain pants.
- Waterproof boots if you have them, plus at least one change of shoes good for uneven and muddy ground. You must wear closed toed shoes to work outside!
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle
September Service Weekend Schedule:
Friday, September 16
4pm – 9pm Check-in at Raker, tea, hot chocolate, coffee, and snacks available. No dinner is served so bring a sack dinner with you! Our new Rental Manager Ethan “Gumby” Gumanow will meet you at the check in table. If you are new don’t be afraid to ask anyone for help if you need more direction!
Saturday, September 17
8:30 am Breakfast in Raker Lodge
9:15 am Namanu Work Projects, Session #1
12:30 pm Lunch
1:30 pm Session #2 Projects
5:00 pm Break
6:00 pm BBQ Dinner in the Meadow
7:00 pm Final cabin cleaning and move out
8:00 pm Depart Namanu. Please be offsite no later than 8 pm.
Visit the Camp Store! Get your t-shirts, sweater, hoodies and all kinds of wonderful Namanu items. Look out for some of our sale items!
Thank you in advance for your time and energy!