Friends of Namanu and Camp Fire Columbia Volunteer Service Weekend, June 2016
Friday, June 3rd – Sunday, June 5th (tentative schedule below)
10300 SE Camp Namanu Rd, Sandy, OR
Let’s hope for dry weather, but (as always) prepare for rain!
Stay in a cabin with your friends or family and help keep Namanu looking beautiful… all for free! We are looking forward to seeing you all working hard with us this in June!
What you should know about the upcoming Volunteer Service Weekend:
- During our June Service Weekend we will have traditional camp meals fixed by our famous cooks – B’Lou, Josey, and Jake – with an assortment of other summer staff and volunteers helping with prep and clean up! If you have a dietary restriction please let us know prior to the event and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Namanu Property Manager, Dale Wills, will be organizing the projects for Saturday. There will be no formal work projects planned for Sunday.
- Please RSVP! We would appreciate as much advanced notice as possible so that we can have a count on how many will be in attendance; this is especially important so that we buy enough food. That said if somehow you forget, “drop ins” are welcome! Let us know if you are bringing kids so we can plan activities for them as well! RSVP HERE
- Everyone must sign a Participant Agreement that includes a liability waiver and assumption of risk; all those under the age of 18 must be with a parent or guardian.
- Please check in at Raker Lodge, our dining hall, upon arrival and prior to moving into any accommodation. After you have dropped off your belongings in your sleeping space, we ask that you park your car in the upper parking lot at the top of the grand staircase. We do not take cabin reservations – it’s first come first serve unless we have a large group coming and they need to be housed together (i.e. Boy Scout Troop).
- Please feel free to come for any part or all of the weekend; even if you can only come out for part of Saturday, your energy and efforts are greatly appreciated. This is our second Volunteer weekend of 2016, so be sure to come out and join the fun and get your FREE 2016 Volunteer T-shirt!!
- Please leave all pets at home.
- Projects will likely include bench building, pasture clearing at Namanu Ranch, staining some of our cabins, prep for the weavery program, wood splitting and stacking, trail maintenance, and addressing various small construction and maintenance projects.
- If you have specific questions or needs please contact Steven Joinson, Resident Camp Director at SJOINSON@CAMPFIRECOLUMBIA.ORG
- Please leave your sleeping area swept, bed wiped down with disinfectant, trash emptied, and cabin cleaner than you found it.
What to bring:
- Sleeping bag or sleeping system, pillow.
- Plenty of warm clothes, wool or polypropylene is warmer if it gets wet than cotton. Work clothes that can get dirty!
- Work Gloves – very important to bring a pair of gloves that fit your hand comfortably.
- Raingear: rain jacket and rain pants.
- Waterproof boots if you have them, plus at least one change of shoes good for uneven and muddy ground. You must wear closed toed shoes to work outside!
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle
June Service Weekend Schedule:
Friday, June 3rd
4pm – 9pm Check-in at Raker, tea, hot chocolate, coffee, and snacks available. No dinner is served so bring a sack dinner with you! Our new Rental Manager Ethan “Gumby” Gumanow will meet you at the check in table. If you are new don’t be afraid to ask anyone for help if you need more direction!
Saturday, June 4th
8:30 am Breakfast in Raker Lodge
9:15 am Namanu Work Projects, Session #1
12:30 pm Lunch
1:30 pm Session #2 Projects
5:00 pm Break
6:00 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Free Time
10:00 pm Quiet time begins
Sunday, June 5th
8:30 am Breakfast in Raker Lodge
9:30 am Clean and move out of cabins. Wrap up any unfinished projects
12 noon Depart Namanu. Please be off site no later than 12 pm so staff can spend the afternoon with their families. Lunch will not be served on Sunday.
Visit the Camp Store! Get your t-shirts, sweater, hoodies and all kinds of wonderful Namanu items. Look out for some of our sale items!
Thank you in advance for your time and energy!